Applications to Early Years
Applying for a Reception Primary School place for your child for September 2020
FOR ACTION BY 15 JANUARY 2020
This information is for families who live in North Yorkshire.
Dear Parent/ Carer
If you have a child that is born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016 you will need to apply for a primary school place for them to start in Reception in September 2020.
Families living outside North Yorkshire will need to contact their home authority to obtain the information regarding school admissions.
The information you need to apply for a primary school place is available at
- the criteria used by the authority to allocate school places;
- arrangements for the admission of pupils to primary schools, including any social or medical reasons why your child should be given special consideration for allocation to a particular school;
- details of arrangements that apply to particular schools in your area;
- eligibility for home-to-school transport;
- the online parent portal where you will be able to create an account and apply online for a school place.
Please read all of the information on the school admissions and transport pages before completing an application form.
Applying for a school place and what to do
Online applications :
- create an account via the parent portal, you will then receive a verification registration email;
- log back into your account to add your child, add your school preferences and other details;
- remember to ‘review and submit’ your application, you will then receive an email acknowledgement to confirm we have received your application;
- once you have submitted your application you will not be able to make any amendments online. You will need to complete a changes form available at www.northyorks.gov.uk/filling-common-application-form or contact the admissions team (contact details overleaf).
Paper applications - if you do not have internet access, you can request a copy of the information for parents and a paper copy of the common application form (contact details overleaf).
You must submit an application form for a school place no later than 15 January 2020
Late applications - any application received after this date will be considered late and will be dealt with after those received on time. This could affect the allocation of your child’s school place, for more details see www.northyorks.gov.uk/lateapplications. If your form is submitted after 15 January 2020 please ensure that you provide reasons in writing why the application is late (contact details overleaf).
Should you need more information about individual schools before expressing your preference, a prospectus can be obtained directly from the school concerned. Please check the information on the website carefully as some schools require the completion of a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) to enable them to assess
your application against the school’s admission policy. Failure to submit a SIF will result in your application being considered after all other applications where a SIF has been submitted.
If you want a place at a school outside of North Yorkshire, you must list it on our common application form and we will liaise with the appropriate local authority.
National Offer Day is a date tbc in April 2020. This is the day when we send out confirmation of the school place that has been allocated to your child. If you apply on line you will receive an email notification on the Offer day and you will be able to log back into your account to view the school place that has been ‘offered’. If you complete a paper application, allocation letters will be sent out by second class post on the Offer day and these may take up to 3-5 days to arrive.
We are not able to advise anyone of their child’s school place over the telephone.
If we are unable to allocate a place at your preferred school, you will be entitled to an admission appeal in line with current legislation. Appeal forms are available on the website at www.northyorks.gov.uk/admission_appeals or by contacting the admissions team.
You should keep all correspondence you receive, including emails and acknowledgements, as you might need these should you want to appeal if we cannot allocate a place for your child at your preferred school.
Please contact us if you require any further advice or assistance.
Business Support Manager
We encourage you to apply online to help us speed up the admission process and to benefit you in the following ways:
- it is quick, easy, and secure and it is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, up to the closing date;
- you can access the school admissions and transport pages of our website in the convenience of home, work, internet cafés and North Yorkshire libraries.;
- you can view your application at any time before you submit it and when you have fully completed your application and submitted it you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application;
- you will be notified by email on National Offer Day - date TBC
Admissions, Transport and Free School Meal Team, Business Support, Jesmond House, 31-33 Victoria Avenue, Harrogate, HG1 5QE