Applications to Early Years
Applying for a Reception Primary School place for your child for September 2022
FOR ACTION BY 15 JANUARY 2022
This information is for families who live in North Yorkshire.
Dear Parent/ Carer
FAO Parents of Nursery Children
(born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018)
If you have a child who falls into the age range above they are due to start school in September 2022 and you must apply for a primary school place for them to start in Reception in September 2022.
Important – you must apply for a school place even if your child has an older sibling at the school or they are attending the nursery attached to the school.
Click below to read an important information letter from North Yorkshire County Council about applying for a school place:
You can apply for a Reception place at a primary school for your child from 12 October 2022 and the deadline to submit your application is 15 January 2022
This information is for families living in North Yorkshire. Families living outside North Yorkshire will need to contact their home authority to obtain their information regarding school admissions.
The information you need to apply for a primary school place is available at:
- the criteria used by the authority to allocate school places at maintained schools
- links to the admission arrangements for schools which are their own admissions authority, such as certain academy schools and voluntary aided schools
- arrangements for the admission of pupils to primary schools, including any social or medical reasons why your child should be given special consideration for allocation to a particular school;
- specific school information including the number of places allocated and statistics for the 2020-21 academic year
- eligibility for home-to-school transport;
- The online parent portal where you will be able to create an account and apply online for a school place,
It is important that you read all of the information on the school admissions and transport pages before completing the online Common Application Form (CAF).
Online applications - you will need to:
- Create an account if you do not already have one (you will receive a verification registration email);
- If you already have an account you can reset your own password, we cannot do this for you;
- Log back into your account to add your child’s details and dob
- Select the round you are applying for ie Reception Application to Start – September 2021*. You can then add your school preferences and other details;
- Remember to submit your application. When you have submitted your application you will receive an email confirming that the Authority has received your CAF, keep this as proof you have made an application. Please contact us if you do not receive an acknowledgement.
*The school round that is available is specific to your child’s date of birth (dob), if it is not showing after you have added your child’s details please check that you have input their dob correctly. If your child is out of their chronological year group you will need to email us for a paper version of the form
Paper applications - if you do not have internet access, you can request a copy of the information for parents and a paper copy of the common application form, contact details overleaf.
You must submit an application form no later than 15 January 2022.
Should you need more information about individual schools before expressing your preference, a prospectus can be obtained direct from the school concerned. Please check the information on the website carefully as some schools require the completion of a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) to enable them to assess your application against the school’s admission policy. Failure to submit a SIF will result in your application being considered after all other applications where a SIF has been submitted.
If you want a place at a school outside of North Yorkshire, you must list it on our common application form and we will liaise with that Authority.
National Offer Day - 16 April 2022 is the day when you will receive confirmation of the school place that has been “offered” to your child. If you have applied online, you will be able to log back into your account and view the school place that has been ‘offered’. You will also receive a confirmation email during office hours on 16 April 2022.
If you have completed a paper application, allocation letters will be sent out by second class post on the 16 April 2022 and could take up to 3-5 days to arrive. We are not able to advise anyone of their child’s school place over the telephone.
If we are unable to allocate a place at your preferred school, you will be entitled to an appeal in line with current legislation. Appeal forms are available on the website at www.northyorks.gov.uk/admission_appeals or by contacting the Admissions Team 01609 533679.
You should keep all correspondence you receive, including emails and acknowledgements, as you might need this should you want to appeal if we cannot give your child a place at the school you prefer.
Please contact us if you require any further advice or assistance.
Business Support Manager
We encourage you to apply online to help us speed up the admission process and to benefit you in the following ways:
- it is quick, easy, and secure and it is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, up to the closing date;
- you can access the school admissions and transport pages of our website in the convenience of home, work, internet cafés and North Yorkshire libraries.
- You can view your application at any time before you submit it and when you have fully completed your application and submitted it you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application.
- You will be notified by email on National Offer Day 16th April